About This Course
De-escalation is a word that is frequently discussed by community members, politicians, and the media, but it is rarely defined and often misunderstood. This course empowers participants to have intelligent, evidence-informed conversations with the public and provides valuable tools for engaging with people in crisis. Not all situations can be “de-escalated,” but this course focuses on tools to help achieve the best possible outcomes.
This course is designed for Sworn Personnel, Correctional Officers, Dispatchers, Trainers, Supervisors, and Investigators.
Through guided discussions, small group exercises, and practical tools, participants will:
- Explain the truths of de-escalation to members of the public
- Learn to self-regulate their emotions in high-stress environments
- Explore the foundational elements of all human mental functions (thoughts, emotions, behaviors)
- Learn effective tools for dealing with persons in crisis
- Explore response tactics for best possible outcomes