About This Course
Field Training Officers (FTOs) serve in one of the most critical roles of any organization. Beyond training new or lateral officers, they are key in building organizational culture. Sadly, a greater emphasis is often on evaluating and documenting, rather than training. The Leading Edge FTO intentionally challenges “the way we’ve always done it.” The real goal should be to train and mentor the next generation of officers to serve their communities successfully.
This course is designed for current or prospective FTO’s/ CTO’s, FTO/CTO Program Supervisors, and Training Unit Managers.
Through guided discussion, case study, and video analysis, participants will explore the following:
- Understand the role of the FTO as a trainer, not just an evaluator
- Understand the role of the FTO as an agency leader
- Explore how FTOs can become better coaches and mentors
- Understand FTO accountability; for themselves, the trainee, and the agency
- Understand documentation: what great agencies do that others don’t